Face serums are the first line of defence for your skin and help fight off dullness, fine lines, wrinkles, acne and discolouration. As with many skincare products there are many types that suit different people to accomplish their skincare goals.
Face serums are a great product to add into your skincare routine. They are quick and easy to use, packed with active ingredients, and great for keeping your skin healthy. We thought we would share what we know about face serums with you so that you can get the best out of your skin.
Choosing a Face Serum
Choosing the best face serum for you is the first step. Picking the right face serum can leave your skin feeling light, revitalised and give you a glow watch day.
Have a think about your skin type and what you need to keep it healthy. This list of different types of face serums should help you pick what you want out of you’re routine.
- Acne and sensitive skin: there are face serums for acne prone and sensitive skin that contain soothing and anti-inflammatory ingredients (like the Green Finger Lime and Davidson Plums we use in our specialised face serum for sensitive skin and acne) only the purest blend of these ingredients here in our serum
- Fighting off free radicals: Antioxidants in face serums help fight off free radicals. These protect your skin from the suns UV rays while you go about your daily routines.
- Hydration: Hydrating face serums penetrate your skin and help bind moisture to your skin. Keeping your skin hydrated means it will look healthier, younger, and plumper. Check out our Kakadu Plum Face Serum for an amazing Hydrating and anti-aging face serum.
- Anti-aging: Collagen is the protein in charge of keeping our skin looking plump and young. Many face serums (including ours) work to promote collagen production in your skin which smooths out lines and wrinkles.
When choosing your product keep these in mind so that you can pick the best face serum for you.
When to use face serums
One of the best things about face serums is that they are easy and quick to apply. When thinking about your skincare routine and what to put on when, there is a simple rule that you can follow. Simply apply in order of thinnest to thickest.
Most face serums are water based and are designed to be oil free, meaning that they will often be the thinnest product in your routine, and so should be the first product applied after cleansing. Think of them as the first layer of protection for your skin.
How to use face serums
When using a face serum you only need a small amount, for instance one of our bottles (roughly 1-ounce) should last for at least 2 months. Most bottles of face serum will have medicine droppers or a pump to help you apply a small amount to the skin. Using a face serum is simple:
- Cleanse: the first step is to cleans your face. check out our post on healthy skincare routines if you are unsure of the best way to do this.
- Apply: apply small dots of the face serum all over your face
- Rub in: use your fingertips to rub the serum in to your skin
- Apply Moisturiser: after the face serum is applied feel free to apply your moisturiser or other products. Remember to work from thinnest to thickest.
If you find that your skin is getting irritated by your face serum don’t worry. The solution isn’t to throw away the product but to apply it after one the other products instead. This will give you the benefits of the serum while the other product works as a buffer to save you from any irritation.
Why are they good for your skin?
Earlier in the post we skimmed over some of the benefits of face serums but if you’re not convinced yet then keep reading and we will expand on some of the best face serum uses.
- High level of active ingredients: face serums are packed with ingredients that help your skin glow. The high concentration of these ingredients – like Vitamins A, C and E and powerful antioxidants – means that you get more visible results from using them.
- Quick and easy to apply: face serums are easy to apply and they quickly penetrate deep into your skin. The speed that they are absorbed by your skin also leaves you feeling lighter and oil free as you go about your day.
- Protects the future of your skin: free radicals are the slow saboteurs of our skin, causing us to develop lines and wrinkles earlier than we otherwise would. Many face serums (including ours) provide your skin with protection against the damage they can cause. All those active ingredients from before can help your skin looking young now while also protecting its future.
- Good for those with skin conditions: face serums are great for all skin types and conditions. Some face serums are specifically designed for people with acne, rosacea or eczema which may become irritated using other types of serum. Make sure to check with your dermatologist if you are unsure about a product.
Face serums are a great addition to any skincare routine, providing your skin with everything it needs to stay healthy, young and glowing. It’s never too late to start using a skincare routine that works for you.
Author Tom Pahlow